Skip to main content

Mammogram , Ultrasound

 Earlier this year I was diagnosed with Hemochromatosis . It’s a genetic disease where the body stores the iron and the iron levels become high enough to damage the heart and lungs. The iron therefor has to be removed via a cannula with a tube into a bag. It was on my second appointment for this that I mentioned the lump to my Doctor, so he gave me the forms to go have a mammogram and ultrasound. I mentioned to him that the lump was sore at times and he told me that was a good sign, breast cancer doesn’t hurt. I later read in a forum later on that breast cancer is painful for a lot of woman and it is often what leads them to find the lump.

Mammogram and Ultrasound 

On the 18/10/2017 I went in for my mammogram and ultrasound. For the first time since finding the lump I was feeling a little nervous. Standing with my boob stuck in the machine while she did the pictures I felt awkward and like I had left all my dignity at home. She freed me and told me she had to go check the pics and consult the doctor that they were ok. She came back and said they wanted more pics, she left came back and again wanted more. I was starting to wonder if something was showing but she remained tight lipped an lead me into another room to have myrasound.

The lady doing the ultrasound was quiet friendly and as soon as she put the probe on my breast I could see a black round shadow. Is that the lump I asked and she said it was. Oh shit ! Was what went through my head, there it was as clear as day. Made it seem a little more real. After she finished she got the Doctor in and he told me I would go back to my Doctor and he would organise a biopsy. I can’t remember exactly what they said but I knew from what the doctor said that he was feeling confident it was cancerous , Wow! This is really happening.








The following day  I picked up the films and the report, and as soon as I got home I opened it. The words , Highly Suspicious mass lesion in the left breast at 7 O’Clock. Further up a dense spiculated mass lession. What does spiculated mean ? Google ... spiculated mass straight away raises red flags, more often than not the spiculated mass is cancer. Spiculated meaning it is rough edged and not smooth like is the case with a cyst .

I went and saw my Gp and he sent a referral straight on to a breast surgeon at the local hospital and said I would get an appointment sent out fairly quickly as it was classed as a catagory 1.
I found I was a bit snappy at everyone that night, a little angry but then that passed and nothing, I had no emotions over it either way, I still didn’t think it was real.






Comments